Preventative Dental Treatments for Your Dog or Cat
Regular dental care is essential in keeping your pet healthy. Regular dental exams not only keep your pet’s teeth clean and healthy, but keeps them in good overall health. At Randhurst Animal Hospital, we will provide routine dental procedures, including dental cleanings and extractions for your family pet.
Our professional dental cleanings include:
- A thorough tooth examination to check for mobility or fractures
- A complete ultrasonic scaling to remove plaque and tartar
- Polishing with a special paste to smooth the tooth enamel
- Digital x-rays to examine the teeth, roots, and bone
Prior to your pet’s dental treatment, we will perform comprehensive blood tests to confirm that your pet is a good candidate for anesthesia. Your pet will then be placed under anesthesia while we perform the dental exam and cleaning. Our technicians will carefully track your pet’s vital signs using an advanced monitoring system throughout the entire procedure.
At-Home Dental Care
Our veterinarians recommend regular at-home dental care for your dog or cat. Brushing your pet’s teeth every day can help reduce or eliminate plaque buildup, an accumulation of bacteria that may progress to periodontitis. Periodontitis is characterized by pockets of chronic infection, oral pain, and severe infections. When left untreated, it will eventually loosen and destroy the tooth with the potential for bone loss. Infections under the gum line can also spread to the liver, kidneys and heart, negatively impacting your pet’s overall health.
Please call us to schedule an appointment with one of our veterinarians if your dog or cat is exhibiting any of these signs of dental diseases:
- Loss of appetite or loss of weight
- Bad breath
- Loose teeth or teeth that are discolored or covered in tartar
- Your pet shies away from you when you touch the mouth area
- Drooling or dropping food from the mouth
- Bleeding from the mouth